Hello my lovelies!
I hope everyone is fine and dandy! I know, I know.. its been FOREVER since I wrote to you and I am so sorry. I hope you will forgive me once you read this post and see all of the AWESOME TIPS I have for you guys today. As most of you know, I am a big, huge travel bug! Travelling is my absolute favourite thing to do, and I do it often (well at least try to). Although most of the time, travelling is a ton of fun, there are always some things that go wrong to put a damper on your vacation! I am here to save the day, and help you discover some TRAVEL HACKS that will help you with planning and actually travelling so you can avoid some of the awful, annoying things that might happen while you are on the go!
LETS GET INTO IT…
1. USE THE INCOGNITO OR PRIVATE WINDOW WHILE SHOPPING AROUND FOR FLIGHTS/HOTELS- Airline and hotel websites actually check your activity online (creepy right?), They can actually increase the prices of your tickets depending on what time you browse or what you are browsing for. When you use your regular window websites can recognize how often you search for flights and where your searching for and will jack up the prices every time you look back at the website! The solution? Search in a private or incognito window on your laptop. For Mac users, open up your Safari internet browser, go to file, and click on the ‘open private window’ tab! Now you are basically Harry Potter wearing the invisibility cloak and NO ONE CAN FIND YOU 😉
2.USE TISSUE PAPER IN BETWEEN YOUR CLOTHES– If you are like me, and have a lot of blouses/tops that wrinkle as SOON as you fold them and put them in a suitcase, fold your top inside some tissue paper! The tissue paper prevents your clothing from getting wrinkles and you won’t have to iron all of your clothes as soon as you get to your hotel!
(NOT SO) FUNNY STORY- I went to Australia this past summer with Steve for a business trip. As soon as we got to our hotel we had to go to a dinner meeting. I knew exactly what I wanted to wear and took it out of my suitcase to find it was EXTREMELY WRINKLED. I saw we had an iron in our room so I plugged it in and started going to town on my shirt. The iron ended up burning a hole right through my shirt and then I had a mini breakdown because I had to find something else to wear super fast! TAKE MY ADVICE and wrap your clothes up in tissue paper to avoid this nightmare happening to you ;)!
3. USE A CLIP FOR YOUR TOOTHBRUSH SO IT DOESNT TOUCH YUCKY COUNTER- Although hotel rooms LOOK CLEAN, most of the time they aren’t as clean as we think… the bathrooms especially! The bathroom SHOULD BE the cleanest area because there are so many different people staying there and so many germs being passed around, but unfortunately its not. Most hotels don’t come with those little toothbrush holder cup things either, so most of the time we end up putting our toothbrushes directly onto the counter.. (YUCK!). Please whatever you do, DO NOT DO THIS. Take a clip for your hair and put it onto the counter, then put your toothbrush ontop of the clasps of the clip and it’ll hold your toothbrush upright so your toothbrush never physically has to touch the counter top!
4. KEEP BREAKABLES IN SOCK- The best way to keep your breakables from breaking, is to put them in a sock… or multiple socks. I usually do this with my perfume bottles. Start by putting your perfume bottle in one sock, and then put that sock in multiple socks and not only does it keep your perfume from breaking, it keeps your socks all together so it doesnt take up so much room in your suitcase!
5. USING THE ‘MAPS’ APP ON YOUR PHONE WITHOUT USING DATA-This one is a huge lifesaver! Have you ever been anywhere unfamiliar and you are totally 100 percent lost. You literally have no idea where you are so you find yourself turning your data on on your cellphone and using the maps to find your way back to your hotel? WELL, I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION FOR YOU. Before your actual trip, go onto the Google Maps app on your phone and type in the city you are going to. Once a clear map of the location comes up, type in ‘OK MAPS’. This will save the actual map onto your phone so you can open it up in the future when you don’t have accessible data and you will never get lost again!
6. BRING EMPTY WATER BOTTLE THROUGH SECURITY- As you probably already know, you cannot bring a full water bottle through security at the airport. You can however bring an empty one! It could be just a regular plastic water bottle, or a reusable one. This is smart for travelling because the price for water at airports is RIDICULOUS. Why spend $8 on a bottle of Smart Water when you can bring your own bottle of water and fill it up constantly as you need it!
7. KEEPING JEWELRY SAFE AND UNTANGLED– To keep your jewelry from tangling, thread it through a plastic straw and clip it at the end. Now its absolutely impossible to get those big knots in your necklaces that we all hate! Another way you can avoid getting your necklaces tangled with each other, is use a weekly pill case. Put a necklace in for each day of the week and you won’t have a big glob of all your necklaces when you want to pick one out to wear for the day.
8.BRING EMERGENCY PRODUCTS FOR IF YOU GET SICK- This is extremely important especially if you are spending a lot of time on airplanes. I always end up sick after being on an airplane for a long period of time because you are constantly breathing in the same air. I always have a little makeup bag filled with essential products to help keep me healthy while travelling. The worst thing is getting sick while your on vacation!
9.PUT CORDS IN A SUNGLASSES CASE– Now adays, we bring so many electronics EVERYWHERE with us and of course at some point, we have to charge these electronics! This means bringing lots of cords with you everywhere you go. The best way to keep track of all of these cords, is to put them in a sunglasses case. This way you have all of the cords you need all together in one place, and they are easy to find… as long as you don’t lose the sunglasses case, then your shit outta luck and I don’t know what to tell you.
10. PUT YOUR PHONE IN A ZIPLOCK BAG FOR THE BEACH- The beach is filled with SAND (obviously) and your hands are filled with oily sunscreen while at the beach. The best way to avoid getting the gross sand and oily sunscreen in your phone is to put your phone in a ziplock bag before travelling to the beach. You are still able to use the phone through the bag and you avoid ruining your phone with sand and anything else that might get into it.
11. PUT SERAN WRAP BETWEEN BOTTLE AND CAP– THE WORST THING is opening your suitcase once you’ve arrived at your destination only to find out that your shampoo exploded all over the only outfits you have for the whole week! There is a way to avoid this nightmare from happening to you! Take the cap off of your products, and put a piece of seran wrap in between the bottle and cap. This will prevent the product from overflowing/exploding while on the airplane!
12- FRAGILE STICKER ON LUGGAGE- While your checking your bags at the airport, ask the attendant to put a FRAGILE sticker on your bag. This will prevent your luggage from getting thrown around a lot while they put it on the plane. They also will usually put your luggage on the baggage claim FIRST so you don’t spend so much time at the baggage claim waiting for your luggage!
13. USE STATTRAVEL.COM IF YOU ARE UNDER 26- This is a great website to use if you are a student or under the age of 26. All you do is type in your destination and it will search the internet for the absolute CHEAPEST flights out there. This website is great for young people who love to travel and love to travel often! I’ve heard of people saving hundreds of dollars on flights around the world. They also have a really cool ‘Around The World’ ticket. They have teamed up with various airlines to provide customers with already planned trips anywhere around the world which is pretty neat!
14. AIRPLANE MODE FOR CHARGING– If your in a hurry and need your phone charged quickly, switch it onto Airplane Mode. This will charge your phone up to 3x faster than it would if you had it on ‘normal mode’.
15. PUT SHOES IN SHOWER CAPS-The worst thing is putting your dirty shoes into your suitcase with your CLEAN clothes. Put your shoes into shower caps to avoid this issue and you’ll never get dirty clothes from your shoes again! You don’t have to buy expensive shower caps for this obviously, just go to your local dollar store and pick a few up for a dollar! You can also use seran wrap for this as well, but I find the shower cap works better and they are reusable so you can use them for your trip home as well!
Well folks, thats all of the tips I have for you today! I hope you learned a tip or two from this post. If you liked this post and want to see more posts similar to this, please let me know in the comments below! ALSO, if you know of any travel hacks I haven’t mentioned, please let me know, I’d love to hear them.
UNTIL NEXT TIME,